VIII. Listen (disk 043) to the speakers and prepare good reading of the texts.
IX. Revise the degrees of comparison of adjectives. Compare the different means of transport -a car, a plane, a helicopter, a train, a bicycle, a motor-bike, a bus, a ferry/boat.
Use the adjectives: fast, slow, convenient, cheap, expensive.
Model: A trolley-bus is faster than a tram. A tram is more expensive than a trolley-bus.
X. Translate the expressions below and say what means of transport have these qualities:
doesn’t require too much fuel (economical)
expensive to use
helps to keep fit
has a negative impact on the environment
enables a person to avoid traffic jams
causes considerable dioxide emission
can take passengers wherever they want
doesn’t require good roads
nice and relaxing to travel by
XI. Discuss in pairs:
1. Do you like to travel?
2. How many times a year do you travel?
3. Do you stay in your home country or go abroad?
4. If you have never been abroad, where would you go to?
5. Which means of transport do you (would you) prefer? Why?
6. Would you prefer the sea, the mountains, the country, or the city as destinations?
7. Do you relax or are you an active holiday-maker?
8. Would you prefer to travel alone, with family or friends or in an organized group?
9. Would you like to visit English-speaking countries?
10. If you visited Britain as a traveler or an exchange student, would you brush up (освежить знания) your English?
XII. Study the WISH – construction in the Subjunctive Mood:
В английском языке в сослагательном наклонении (Subjunctive Mood or Conditionals II and III) встречаются конструкции: 1). I wish … + I … (Past Simple) - Мне бы хотелось … (Жаль, что я не …), обозначающее маловероятное условие действия;
2). I wish … + I … (Past Perfect) – Мне бы хотелось … (Жаль, что я не …), обозначающее нереальное условие действия.
For example: 1). I wish I went there (Жаль, что я не поеду туда).
I wish I didn't go there (Жаль, что я поедутуда).
2). I wish I had gone there (Жаль, что я не поехал туда).
I wish I had not gone there (Жаль, что я поехал туда).
XIII. Translate the sentences into Russian:
1. I wish I knew English.
2. I wish I had known English that time.
3. Helen wishes she went to Britain as an exchange student.
4. She wished she hadn’t stayed at home: the journey was fantastic!
5. I wish you joined us next week-end.
6. I wish you had joined us last week-end.
7. I wish it were summer now.
8. I wish it were not raining now.
9. I wish it had not snowed yesterday night.
10. I wish it had snowed yesterday night.
11. I wish I studied abroad to know more about other people’s life.
XIV. By means of analizing the compound words try to understand the meaning of the following phrases and then translate them into Russian:
1. experience of a lifetime
2. unforgettable awareness
3. lifelong appreciation
4. to benefit from
5. to experience firsthand
6. a student exchange participant
7. study abroad education
9. a global citizen
XV. Read the article from the internet and answer the question:
ñ What positive sides have student exchange programmes?
Write out the advantages of such education.
The value of a student exchange between foreign families is an experience of a lifetime. The mixing of cultures and backgrounds provides young people with an unforgettable awareness and a lifelong appreciation of each other. Everyone in the family, in fact, benefits from this new understanding and friendships start.
There is no better way to learn about another country, its customs and its people’s way of life than by experiencing it firsthand as a student exchange participant. Year after year study abroad education enhances (делает интереснее) students’ lives. They gain skills they could never have learnt by staying home, including maturity, self-confidence, communicativeness, and the ability to become a global citizen.
XVI. Fill in the word-formation table. Use the dictionary. The first verb and noun is done for you:
| 1. aware (осознавать)
2. believe (верить)
3. assume (присваивать)
4. … (путешествовать)
5. explore (исследовать)
6. … (высоко ценить)
7. experience (испытывать)
8. … (принимать, соглашаться)
9. fascinate (очаровывать)
10. immerse (погружаться)
11. … (предпочитать)
12. employ (нанимать на работу)
13. … (расти)
14. … (понимать, распознавать)
15. … (участвовать)
16. integrate (объединять)
|| 1. awareness (осознание)
2. … (вера)
3. … (присвоение)
4. traveler (путешественник)
5. … (исследователь)
6. appreciation (высокая оценка)
7. … (опыт)
8. admission (принятие)
9. … (очарование)
10. … (погружение)
11. preference (предпочтение)
12. … (работодатель)
13. growth (рост)
14. recognition (понимание)
15. participation (участие)
16. … (объединение)
XVII. Read some more information from the internet about a student exchange programme and match the headings with the paragraphs:
a) Cultural Awareness c) Language Skills e) College and Career Advantage
b) Lifelong Friends d) School Experiences f) Personal Growth
Being able to develop cultural awareness begins by understanding what culture is. Culture is the values, beliefs, assumptions and ideas that people or a society hold in common (обладают) …
By becoming a foreign exchange student you will learn to be an adventurer, a traveler, and an explorer. You learn by experience …
By living in a foreign country you will learn the language by immersion. Learning by immersion is the fastest and the most effective way to learn a new language. It gives you the ability to become fluent in the language by speaking it on a daily basis …
There is no better way to come to understand people of your own age group than by going to school with them. Student exchange programmes give you the opportunity to become truly a part of the host country and to understand your classmates …
Some of your very strongest friendships can come from people you meet through a study abroad programme. One reason for this may be the mutual fascination you have for each other because you come from different cultures …
Colleges and universities recognise the value of studying abroad and many give admission preference to students that have participated in a student exchange programme. An international experience on a CV tells a lot about a person to a potentional employer. It shows experience, responsibility, integrity, flexibility, and personal strength …
XVIII. Make your own sentences beginning with – I wish … :
Model:I am not an exchange student. I wish I were an exchange student.
1. I don’t travel much. I wish I …
2. I’ve never spoken English to an Englishman. I wish I …
3. I’ve never lived abroad.
4. I don’t have enough money to pay for a student exchange programme.
5. I haven’t got relatives abroad.
6. It is difficult for me to understand rapid English speech.
7. I can’t pronounce English sounds properly.
8. I can’t read in English fluently.
9. I can’t read English books in original.
10. I was afraid to speak English to the English travelers at Baikal last summer.
XIX. Personal quiz in English:
1. How long have you been learning English?
2. Why did you start learning it?
3. When did you start learning it?
4. What was your first English teacher’s name?
5. What do you enjoy most in your English lessons?
6. What do you find most difficult about learning English?
7. How do you think you are going to use English in the future?
8. Would you like to learn any other foreign languages?
9. What second foreign language would you like to learn?
10. Why do people learn English nowadays?
XX. What language is spoken by the majority of people in the world? Look at the table showing world language ranking. Listen (disk ) to the recording.
| World language ranking
|| Number of native speakers
|| Number of speakers as a second language
|| Total number of speakers
| Mandarin Chinese
|| 873 million
|| 178 million
|| more than a 1000 million
|| 322 million
|| about 500 million
|| 309 million
|| 600 million
|| || total population of Arab countries:323 million
|| 181 million (Kharibolidialect)
|| || 948 million total with significant knowledge of the language
|| 177 million
|| 20 million
|| 171 million
|| 20 million
|| 145 million
|| 110 million
|| 128 million
|| 2 million
XXI. Read the definitions and match them to the words – 1. Accent
a)____________ a way of speaking a language that is used only in a particular area or by a
particular group of people.
b)____________ a way of saying words that shows what country, region, or social class someone comes from.
c)____________ special words and phrases that are only understood by people who do the same kind of work.
XXII. Read the text and make a list of reasons why people learn foreign languages: